Insulin Pump Demystified

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The Allure of "Omnipod"...at least on film

Some time ago I posted a blog entry about how I'm always losing my blood glucose meter and so I know I would never make a good candidate for the new Omnipod insulin delivery device, with its non-attached insulin delivery/meter device. How could I possibly consider the Pod when I can guarantee that I'll lose the device completely essential for operating it?

But...I signed up to be on Omnipod's email list and I'll have you know that their marketing people are good. Really good. I just got off their web site (www.MyOmniPod.com) where I watched a little movie clip (go to the "Products" heading)all about the Omnipod, and now I'm convinced that it's for me. I won't lose that device...the sleek-looking people in the movie clip aren't running around losing it. In fact, they're just mostly running--what with being free of tubing, free of pain from manual insertions and even being free of pain from blood sugar testing (does anyone actually consider pricking yoru finger "pain?"). That's what the movie clip promises, at least.

Omnipod's marketing people are so good that I'm honestly torn between viewing it with complete "there must be a catch somewhere" cynicism and forgetting my legit concerns because who among us wouldn't mind being free of tubing and wearing an insulin delivery system that is a bit more discreet? This feeling of being torn tells me it's time to get out from behind the computer screen and start talking to some real people who've tried the Omnipod to see what their experiences have been like. Just as when I started researching pump therapy--which lead to writing my book--I began by talking to pump users to hear the true story, right from the source.

So with my apologies to everyone in the advertising/marketing world, I promise to share the true scoop with you all. And if you are using the Omnipod--or know someone else who is--please get in touch! Is it really all that?

In peace,
Gabrielle

12 Comments:

  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Kassie said…

    Gabrielle, Last summer I spoke to an OmniPod rep at the AADE conference and the first question I asked was, "How do I keep from losing the PDA part?" His befuddled response was, "How do you keep from losing your cell phone?"

    "I've lost my cell phone."

    After chatting I learned that they do have belt clip type accessories for people like me (and you!)

     
  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger GabrielleK-M said…

    Good to know, Kassie!

    I just learned from another friend with diabetes who has tried the Omnipod that she felt it was bigger than she expected...

     
  • At 10:54 PM, Blogger GabrielleK-M said…

    Deb--Thanks so much for writing and sharing your experiences!
    So...how do you keep from losing track of the programming device?

     
  • At 12:38 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 12:46 PM, Blogger Anna said…

    I have been on the omnipod for a a year and a half and I like it. But just like anything, it has it pros and cons. there are alot of pod errors and it wastes alot of insulin. It is pain free though and the freedom is great. The only thing I can say about not losing the PDM is that its just like a blood sugar machine, I always carried that so I always have my PDM. Also, the PDM goes through AAA batteries way to fast and doesn't give enough warning when there is a low battery. Still better than alot of the pumps out there.

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm thinking seriously about going on the OmniPod system. I have a few questions -- like what happens if you don't change the pod on the 3rd day. And what happens to the unused insulin in the pod...can you remove it or does it go to waste?
    Carol

     
  • At 7:56 AM, Blogger Eric K said…

    My 8 yo old son was switched to the pod a year ago after 1.5 yrs on the minimed. The switch has been a dream. He is better controlled, the pod asks questions about each step which prompts you (good for when he forgets or is low and confused or for grandparents) on next steps. It is just as quick to bolus for snacks and you do not have to check yours BG every time, you can override that function. Site changing is consistent and much more pleasant now (still hurts but it is done automatically). The pda is bigger than the minimed more like a original blackberry's but as a parent we generally keep track of it (it does not have to be on him all the time just for changes or bolus'). Insulet recently upgraded to its second series- pda has a color screen (wonderful) and all data downloads to Abbott's copilot (outstanding). Accessories are starting come out for it. Cons-pda is not water resistant. We have not lost the pda yet, although we have cracked the screen (replaced). As for pod errors in one year we have had 2 that were not our fault which insulet replaced, most pod errors are user errors (we had 2 at the beginning).

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I love my omnipod system. I have used it for about two years now. the only drawback is that you must have that PDM device to bolus any insulin. I have suggested that they place emergency buttons on the pod itself that would simply give one unit per push. Not the fine tune control we want on day to day basis but would work if I get to work and realize I left it at the house.

     
  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger RW said…

    I am wondering about the ongoing cost of the replacement pods as well as insurance (BCBS) reimbursement.RW

     
  • At 1:33 PM, Blogger Sherri L said…

    I love this device!! I have even noticed my eating habits changing now that my blood sugar is truly under control. I just wish they would come up with a beep that lets you know you are out of range from the pump. I had to drive all the way home yesterday!!!

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Blogger cozywozy said…

    I love love love my Omnipod. It is so easy. For me like NOT catching the tubing in something or knocking the cannula out are things of the past. I love that the PDM is also my meter because if nothing else, I always remembered to bring my meter; didn't always remember to use it but I brought it. Now I always remember. And truly....my BG's are the best they have ever been. No more stretching of bras to keep pump in is another blessing. I love it. And too ..... no one could ever complain about customer service: they call me to see when I want the next order delivered because I am scheduled to be out of supplies on XXXX. amazing. Love you Omnipod

     
  • At 12:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    The PDM comes with a nice little case which is no different than carrying a meter. Since the PDM contains the meter you only have one thing to carry in your purse or on your belt. As for the simplicity of bolusing, it only requires pushing a couple of buttons. Believe me I tend to snack majority of the day until dinner time then I have a meal. It asks you to enter BG reading after you press the bolus button and number of carbs you plan to eat. It figures the bolus amount and you press button to confirm the amount. The PDM is so simple to use. My CDE who taught me on it said it was so much easier than any other pumps to use.

    Produktdatenmarketing

     

Post a Comment

<< Home