Insulin Pump Demystified

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Continuous monitor article link

My Dad just sent me a link (Thanks, Dad!) to a Washington Post article about the new continuous blood sugar monitors that are coming out on the market this summer...it is definitely worth reading about:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/22/AR2006042201354.html?

Reading the article just made my day...and made me think that I want to find out--right away--what my insurance would cover for this kind of monitor. I know it's not a cure, but it really sounds like a tremendously helpful tool for tighter blood sugar control.

Let me know what you think!

Peace,
Gabrielle

2 Comments:

  • At 10:53 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Good article.

    I've very excited to see all of this stuff mature over the next couple of years. I think, like the article said, it's the next big advance in diabetes management.

    It's all very expensive, and not covered by insurance yet. I seem to remember my mom always on the phone with the pharmacies and insurance companies back in the early 80's when blood glucose testing hit the scene, fighting for strips, etc - so I think it's very much the same type of thing for these. It will take a bit of time.

    These things are a lifesaver for those with hypoglycemic unawareness, and will be a wonderful tool for everyone with a desire to tighten down their management - or at least try to.

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger GabrielleK-M said…

    I hope the fight with insurance companies won't last too long with this one--hopefully research will prove that these devices can and do help people tighten their management.

    I'll post any new news about these monitors that I find...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home