Insulin Pump Demystified

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Losin' my Meter...

It's a familiar scream in my house. "Fred, I can't find it! Anywhere!!!"

"Where did you test last?" my husband asks me.

"I don't remember. If I remembered, I could find it!" I answer.

"Okay, calm down. It's got to be here. I'll find it."

"I've looked everywhere, it's gone! I need to test...I think I'm getting low."

"Yeah...think you forgot to look in your purse. Here it is."

"Oh, okay," I mumble, temporarily humbled. "Thanks."

And so it goes--a variation on this incident occurs at least three times a week around here. I'm not sure what it is. I really don't think I'm consiously trying to lose my meter. I just test on the run a lot. For example, I could have tested last in my office, where I'm working, when I here a kid wake up over the baby monitor. Off I go, leaving the meter near my keyboard. Or I might have it next to me on the couch when I'm trying to stay up to watch E.R., but when I inevtabaly fall asleep and wake back up around 2am, I won't remember to look for my meter on the floor by the couch. I'll expect it to be in the upstairs bathroom, where I try and keep it most of the time. But since it's 2am, I'll feel a strong urgency to find it...won't be able to, will wake up Fred...and the scene above takes place.

I'm writing about all of this because I am very, very, very curious about the new "Omnipod" insulin delivery device. Have you seen it? Just the idea of wearing a "pod" rather than a "pump" lures me into thinking that progress has been made. And it seems like it has...the pod has no tubing. It's pretty small. No cartridges to deal with. You just stick it on and replace it with a new pod every couple of days. How cool is that?! Less stuff to shlep around.

Only, you program in your boluses and basals with a device that includes a blood sugar meter that comes separately...a device that you hold, a device that you must have to deliver insulin through the pod, a device that you--well, I--could lose.

So I'm thinking that the pod probably would not create much progress for me, after all. :)

Peace,
Gabrielle

4 Comments:

  • At 11:21 AM, Blogger JamesC said…

    Hi - great blog! My reaction to the 'omnipod' was similar ... what happens if you lose the handheld piece!? Maybe they'll have some FAQ type of answer to that on their site http://www.myomnipod.com/
    (nothing I could find at time of writing)
    Keep up the great work!

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger GabrielleK-M said…

    Thanks so much!

    Glad someone else had a similar reaction...otherwise, the Omnipod seems so cool. :)

     
  • At 12:55 AM, Blogger art-sweet said…

    Some variation on this cry is heard daily at my house. Usually it is either my meter, my keys, or my glasses.

    I think the Pod would be a bad, bad thing for me.

     
  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger GabrielleK-M said…

    Art--

    Glad to hear I'm not the only one! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home