Insulin Pump Demystified

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Experimenting with Symlin

For the past two months, I've been using Symlin in addition to insulin to help manage my blood sugars. For those of you who haven't heard about Symlin yet, check out www.smylin.com. It's basically another hormone that works with insulin to keep blood sugars from peaking too high. It is the first medication that is being prescribed for people with Type 1 to work with insulin...since insulin was first bottled and prescribed.I'm thankful for the opportunity to try it--and that something else has come out on the market to help people with Type 1. So far, it is helping me to lower my post-dinner blood sugars and keep my sugars more even throughout the evening. The only problem for me right now is that symlin is only supposed to be taken if you are eating at least 30 grams of carbs (or you can risk low blood sugar) at a meal. Since I've been on my weight loss campaign, I'm not eating that much carb at breakfast (a non-fat yogurt) or lunch (usually salad, cheese and a few crackers). I'm more into grazing right now and that is working well for me...I usually grab a piece of fruit between breakfast and lunch and again between lunch and dinner.The one thing that is also a drag for me about taking symlin is returning to syringes--yuck! After seven years on the pump, I'd forgotten how inconvenient they are. I don't mind the actual drawing up the needle and sticking it in...I just so much prefer the convenience of insulin delivery by pushing a few buttons.On Saturday night, my husband and I went out to dinner for his birthday and as I was throwing things into my purse, I thought, "I really don't want to pack up a needle & bottle of symlin." I mean, I don't need it in the smae way that I need insulin...or obviously it would be packed! It just brought up memories for me of leaving the table on a date to go take a shot before dinner. Pulling out my pump and pressing a few buttons has spoiled me.I've heard about some people with Type 1 who LOVE symlin and are actually wearing TWO pumps: one with insulin and the other with symlin. I'm not there yet, but we'll see..If you're taking symlin, please leave a comment about how it's working out for you.In peace, Gabrielle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home