Insulin Pump Demystified

Friday, March 17, 2006

Starting my blog

Finally! I have been wanting to start this blog for some time. My baby, June Elizabeth, is 6 months old and between caring for her and my older son, George (3 and 1/2), and taking care of my diabetes--not to mention writing, working part-time and occassionally cleaning my house--it just hasn't happened until now. But here we go...
Some of you know me as the author of "Insulin Pump Therapy Demystified" (Marlowe & Co, 2002), in which I shared my experiences--and those of nearly 100 other pump users--in becoming adjusted to life with the pump. The insulin pump truly changed my life, allowing me to step into the driver's seat in terms of my diabetes control and I wanted to write the kind of book that might have helped me when I was confronting my doubts and fears about trying a pump. Writing and publishing my book has been one of the most rewarding experiences in my life, especially when I connect with people for whom my book was helpful in their decision to choose pump therapy.
Since 2002, I've continued writing about diabetes in various publications including "Diabetes Self-Management", "Diabetes Health" , "Yoga Journal" and others. But lately I've been amazed by how the world of blogging is connecting people with diabetes in a completely new way. Just exploring all of the blogs about diabetes makes me feel less isolated and more in community with others who are dealing with the same daily challeneges as me.
And so now...I am adding my voice to the diabetes blog world. What you'll find here are postings about my current challenges to achieve the most optimal control I can: balancing self-care with care of my young children; attempting to lose weight and get back into pre-pregnancy shape; lowering my a1c; attending to my emotional and spiritual health as I pay attention to my physical health; and hopefully keep my sense of humor along the way.
I look forward to your responses to my postings!
And for more information on "Insulin Pump Therapy Demystified", check out my web site www.insulinpumpbook.com.
Peace,
Gabrielle

4 Comments:

  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger Kassie said…

    Welcome! I look forward to reading more!

     
  • At 7:29 PM, Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said…

    My three year old son was diagnosed with D in October and just started on a pump 2 1/2 weeks ago. I read your "Demystified" book to help prepare for the pump and found it very informative. I just recommended it a couple of days ago to someone who is considering starting the pump.

    Welcome to the OC.

     
  • At 9:26 PM, Blogger GabrielleK-M said…

    Thank you for the warm welcomes! So glad my book was helpful Penny--keep me posted on how your son is adjusting. :)
    Gabrielle

     
  • At 6:07 PM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Welcome to the O.C.!

    The blogging has truly connected me with so many special people. I'm so very glad that I got involved with it.

    Look forward to reading more too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home