Insulin Pump Demystified

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Moderation actually worked!

Yes, I freely admit that I ate until my pants felt tight on Thanksgiving. But unlike over indulgence in past years, I actually ate mostly healthy foods on my plate--lots of roasted vegetables, turkey, some mashed potatoes and stuffing, small amounts of the candied sweets. We took our usual break for dessert and then I bolused more insulin and enjoyed a moderate slice of both pumpkin and pecan pie, smothered in a layer of non-dairy whipped topping. It all felt so good, and an hour after it was over, I tested in at 236. Could have been worse--a few more units and I was down to 146 before bed.

The next few days, I went easy on the leftovers and didn't beat myself up about eating such a good, extra-large meal. I really enjoyed dinner and left it at that. I went through the Thanksgiving weekend with my family not worrying about the scale, but just focusing on the experience of it all.

I heard a bit of my favorite cooking show, "A Chef's Table" on NPR today and the guest, a dietician, talked about the way our bodies all cycle into a carb-craving mode this time of year. It all connects to the darker nights and the way we instinctly tucker down and preserve our energy.

It's helpful to know, since I so often go into the November--March weight gain cycle. This year, I'm going to focus on low-glycemic index carbs and try and keep the moderate approach that worked so well on Thanksgiving going. It's only December 2nd, so I feel a bit premature in feeling optimistic, but awareness is the first step.

Wishing you all energy and vitality as winter approaches--
Gabrielle

3 Comments:

  • At 1:31 AM, Blogger Scott K. Johnson said…

    Sounds like you had a great holiday!

    That makes sense about our natural systems craving carbs and conserving energy. I had never thought about it that way before!

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger GabrielleK-M said…

    Yes--the biology of it all is so important to understand. I often attribute my "eating trends" to emotions and habit, when there is the important physiological component to consider, too...

     
  • At 5:15 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Awesome! We ended up not having a real thanksgiving dinner. I kind of wish we had had one, but the neverending snacking on leftovers experience I still had. I paid with a few higher sugars too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home