Insulin Pump Demystified

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Halloween: Crash and Burn

GROSS. That is how I feel after too many days of yes, eating Halloween candy. It started innocently enough a couple of weeks ago when I saw big bags of candy on sale at the grocery store. Who puts candy on sale before Halloween? Being the bargain shopper that I am, I bought three bags.

Then the question was: where to store them that my 3-yr-old son wouldn't find the? He's pretty good at finding secret places, that kid. So I figured I'd just leave them in a bag in the car, under the passneger seat. Big mistake! I don't usually eat candy, not Halloween type of candy, anyway. I try to be conscious of what I put into my body and if I do eat chocolate now and again, I'd rather do the really good stuff, a Lindt bar or something along that line.

But having bags of Tootsie rolls and snickers and butterfingers and twix in the car with me all the time pushed me into a bit of a fetish state. You know, at a red light, I knew the bag was there, waiting for me to dip in. What fun! I'd take a little twix, bolus, and enjoy.

Let's just say that by Tuesday night, I had to go out and buy more candy to replace that car candy, the fetish candy, and then there I was, hours after taking my kids around the neighborhood for Trick or Treat, faced with more bags of extra candy since this year's turn-out of ghosts and goblins was on the light side.

Gross. I can feel those little packets of m&m's around my waist. It's over now. I am way done. I haven't been on the scale in a week bu ttomorrow morning I am getting back on. Halloween begins my annual cycle of "weakness"--indulging more than I should through November and December. I know many of us do it, but i don't want to get sucked in once again. I've worked hard to lose weight and even if I can bolus to manage the extra carbs, I know that eating junk does nothing to help my overall health.

Fortunately my kids are young enough not to notice if their treats suddenly get put in the trash. George was more excited about calling out "Trick or Treat" than actually eating the candy. No more snickers for me!

3 Comments:

  • At 5:56 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Hahahah, throwing the kid’s candy away? HA! I just ate it all myself. I am so there with you!

     
  • At 8:19 PM, Blogger GabrielleK-M said…

    Thank goodness I'm not alone!

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger Minnesota Nice said…

    This situation seems to prevail in many forms - with me it's the "leftovers" people bring to the office so they aren't tempted at home.................I feel toxic.
    I'm going to try to think of some really clever way to dodge the bullet next year.......

     

Post a Comment

<< Home