Insulin Pump Demystified

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Getting closer to a new pump...

Last week I had an appointment with my endo, the fabulous Dr. Levetan (see her web site www.curedm.com) and her equally fabulous diabetes educator, Susan, and took a step closer to choosing a new pump. I actually listened to Susan's insights and experiences with all of the new pumps that are out there and took home literature to read about the Animas and Deltec pumps and the MiniMed pump with continous glucose sensor. It's a big decision but I am feeling ready to take advantage of the new advances in pump therapy--and am relaizing how much easier it will be to have a pump that does the math for you in terms of carb counting and how much insulin is in your body, as opposed to using my D-tron plus, which doesn't include those features. In my heart of hearts, I want to get a pump with a sensor...it's the best technology there is, and right now, I'm going through some big hormonal shifts connected to my cycle and it would be great to have a sensor giving me a heads-up about my sugars suddenly going too high. I really need it...last night, I was 140 an hour after dinner...then was 276 two hours later, having eaten nothing else. This is the kind of crazy, sudden blood sugar spikes that I've been experiencing. Even as a I write this, it's feeling apparent that I should do for the sensor. I'm just bummed out that insurance is not covering it, but I think I'll just have to suck up paying for it out of pocket.

Susan mentioned that Deltec will be coming out with a pump/sesnor combo, too--maybe within a few months--so I may want to wait for that and see which company will give me a better deal. It stinks, but you have to act like a smart consumer when it comes to diabetes supply decisions. I am still feeling stung that my husband's new health insurance plan only pays for the cost of 70% of my strips.
********

Did you see the AP newswire in yesterday's paper about a man with Type 1 diabetes who was in a major car accident and survived for four days in his car, with a fractured leg, before someone found him? It was all because he kept a box of crackers in his car, he ate them and was able to grab his insulin. Amazing story. This morning I made sure to put extra snacks in the glove compartment. It's horrible to think about the possibility of such an experience, but stupid not to be prepared.
**********
Wishing you all much safety and good health!
Gabrielle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home