Insulin Pump Demystified

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Omnipod is looking better...

Happy 4th of July, everyone! Hope you've had a long weekend to enjoy cook-outs and fireworks. It's been a real treat for my husband and I to have four days off together. We spent two of them at my brother-in-law's beautiful home in Connecticut, which has a big inground pool in the backyard. It was great having the convenience of a pool in the backyard--if it was nap time for one kid, one of us could still swim with the other. The weather was mostly sunny, just a few clouds, a real treat.

But by the middle of the afternoon yesterday, I found myself getting tired of my on-and-off routine with my pump. The D-tron Plus is definitely not waterproof, so I test and bolus as needed before getting in the pool, and leave my pump in a cooler before getting in.

It's not a bad routine, but with little kids getting in and out of the water more frequently than I would if I were swimming on my own, it can get old. I had just spoken to someone who switched from a pump to the Omnipod about a week ago, and she really loved that the Omnipod stays on, during showers and swimming. I'm still worried that I'll lose the Omnipod's PDAS system, but after this weekend's pool and pump routine, I'm willing to give the Omnipod more serious consideration.
**********
I made a really big mistake yesterday: after nearly 20 years of not eating a hamburger, I decided to try two. And they were good! I became a vegetarian at age 15 for moral reasons (those of you who were into "The Smiths" circa 1986 can relate to my "Meat is Murder" inspiration), but then lost my certainty about the evils of being a carnivore during my 20s, and returned to eating fish (which I really love) and poultry. Wanting to eat as healthy as possible, I decided to avoid red meat altogether(which I was never that crazy about, anyway). But yesterday, those burgers on the grill smelled so good and flooded me with childhood memories of summer barbeques. I ate one (on just half a roll), then went for a second (you know, to finish the other half). This morning, my stomach was not happy with that choice. I don't think my body knew what I put inside of it. So, that's it for now for me for hamburgers. Maybe I'll try again in another 20 years...

Happy 4th!
Gabrielle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home